Windows 7 Product Key – How to Get Win 7 Key Working [2017 Update]
You get a Windows 7 product key when you purchase Windows operating system for one or more PCs. Windows product key is a 25-character code. It is used to activate the OS. The product key verifies that Windows has been used on given numbers of PCs that the Microsoft Software License Terms allow.
If you purchase it online, the vendor will send your Windows 7 product key in the confirmation email you receive after purchasing or in the box Windows came in. If you bought a PC with Windows pre-installed, the original key comes pasted on the product by the PC manufacturer.
Windows 7 Product Key – Activation Process
It is recommended to install/upgrade Windows 7 while your current version of Windows running. But if you want a clean installation of Windows on a PC, you need to format the hard drive and reinstall the windows using its product key. You can do this to install Windows 7 upgraded version. Start your computer using the Windows 7 installation disc or a USB flash drive, click Custom (advanced), and then click Drive options (advanced).
Be sure to use the same version and edition of Windows the computer came with. In other words, if it came with Windows 7 Home Premium, you can’t install Windows 7 Professional.
If you receive an error indicating that your Windows 7 product key is not valid when installing, it could be for the following reasons:
- You might have mistyped your genuine product key. Try retyping it.
- You might be using a product key that doesn’t match the version of Windows 7 that’s installed on your computer. Check the product key to make sure it is for the version that you are trying to activate. You can’t use a product key for Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (SP1) to activate a copy of Windows 7 without SP1.
- The product key is for an upgrade version of Windows 7 and a previous version of Windows wasn’t on your computer when Windows 7 was installed. To install an upgrade version of Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP must be installed on your computer. If you formatted the drive before starting the installation process, you won’t be able to use the upgrade Win 7 key to activate Windows. To activate Windows 7, you’ll need to install your previous version of Windows, and then reinstall Windows 7.
Note: If you used an installation key specifically, To activate Windows 7 features you will need the license key.
Windows 7 Product Key For All Versions
Windows 7 Product key is required to activate Retail and Volume License versions both 32bit and 64bit. The genuine product key won’t be valid for a non-genuine copy of Windows. Here are all the versions of windows 7 Download but Product Key is specific to the version of Windows.
- Windows 7 Starter (OEM for low end 32bit PCs)
- Windows 7 Home Basic (Retail & OEM With basic features)
- Windows 7 Home Premium (Retail & OEM best for home users)
- Windows 7 Professional (Retail, OEM & VL for with networking)
- Windows 7 Enterprise (Volume license Pro edition + Languages)
- Windows 7 Ultimate (Retail & OEM with complete features)
If you still can’t find your Win 7 key, you might need to buy windows 7 product key – a new one – to activate Windows. You can purchase an additional copy of the same edition of Windows 7, which contains a product key that you can use.
Still Unable To Install Windows 7 Key?
If you’re unable to enter a Windows 7 Key without getting an error message, you can leave the box empty and click Next, or you can click Skip. This will allow you to finish setup, but your copy of Windows 7 won’t be activated. You must activate Windows within 30 days of installation.